Thursday, July 24, 2008

In Defense of Marriage

Last night I saw the following headline from a story on CNN.com: "Is Marriage Really for White People?"

My response? No. Marriage, between a man and a woman, is a basic building block of the family and can and should be sacred, wonderful, and fulfilling. The family is critical to the well-being of both individuals and nations (see The Family: A Proclamation to the World).

Fortunately, the story itself doesn't come off the way the title does. The writer is actually someone who is looking to get married that just hasn't done so yet. It does bring to mind the attacks that are being leveled on marriage (and therefore families) from two sides: some people say that marriage isn't necessary or needed. And others want to expand the definition of marriage to the point that it will eventually include anything and everything.

Both are wrong. Marriage, done right, is a desirable goal. Like the writer of the article, I too dreamed of being married and having a family. When I was a teenager I often wished that I could zip forward in time to when I was 30...because I would be married, have kids, be happy. For me, this dream came true. And it has been everything that I wanted it to be, and more.

No comments: